Focus Area Forum: Power and Energy
Save the Date: Oct. 29, 2015!
The Office of Naval Research (ONR) will host its fifth Focus Area Forum on October 29. Join ONR leadership, including Chief of Naval Research Rear Adm. Mat Winter, as we highlight Power and Energy (P&E) and address major P&E science and technology challenges facing the Navy and Marine Corps today and in the future.
Objectives: This focus area forum is designed to address the naval science and technology P&E portfolio; identify key challenges and opportunities for the future; and engage with industry/academia on future P&E challenges for surface combatants. Topics include:
- The emergence of high-power-demand-weapons, sensors, combat systems, and their impact on current and future surface combatant electrical architectures;
- The need for advanced electrical architectures to address future ship service, propulsion and pulse power load demands;
- An overview of the P&E portfolio, identifying future opportunity areas for academia and industry.
We look forward to participation from Navy labs, DoD, academia and industry experts—as well as leaders in electrical system research and development in the expeditionary and maritime environments.
Join ONR and other senior Navy and Marine Corps leaders as we explore this energizing topic. Further details and registration information will be announced early fall 2015.
Agenda / Presentations:
||Networking with ONR leadership and forum participants
||Welcome/Power & Energy Overview
Rear Adm. Mat Winter, Chief of Naval Research, Office of Naval Research (ONR)
||SECNAV Perspectives on P&E
Hon. Dennis McGinn, Assistant Secretary of the Navy (Energy, Installations and Environment
||Naval Task Force Energy Perspectives
Rear Adm. Doug Morton, Director, Chief of Naval Operations Energy and Environmental Readiness Division
||Naval Combat Power Perspective
Rear Adm. Bryant Fuller, Deputy Commander, Ship Design, Integration and Naval Engineering, Naval Sea Systems Command
||USMC Expeditionary Power Perspective
Col Jim Caley, Director, United States Marine Corps Expeditionary Energy Office
||Panel: Platform P&E Science and Technology Challenges
- Dr. Rich Carlin, Dept. Head, ONR Sea Warfare and Weapons (moderator)
- Dr. John Pazik, Dept. Head, ONR Expeditionary Maneuver Warfare and Combating Terrorism
- Dr. Frank Herr, Dept. Head, ONR Ocean Battlespace Sensing
- Dr. Tom Beutner, Dept. Head, ONR Naval Air Warfare and Weapons
- Dr. Tom Killion, Director, ONR Office of Technology
|11:30 am–12:30 p.m.
||Panel: ONR P&E Portfolio and Future Science and Technology Opportunities
- Dr. Scott Coombe, ONR Sea Warfare and Weapons
- Billy Short, ONR Expeditionary Maneuver Warfare and Combating Terrorism
- Dr. Knox Millsaps, ONR Naval Air Warfare and Weapons
||Lunch, Poster Session
||Introduction to The Future P&E Science and Technology Challenge for Surface Combatants
Joe Borraccini, ONR Sea Warfare and Weapons
||Panel: Future P&E Challenge for Surface Combatants
- Joe Borraccini, ONR Sea Warfare and Weapons (moderator)
- Jeff Brewer, N96, Surface Warfare
- Steve Markle, PMS 320, Electric Ships Office
- Dr. John Amy, SEA 95
- Dr. Norbert Doerry, SEA 05T, Naval Systems Engineering Directorate, Technology Office
- Anant Patel, Program Executive Office Integrated Warfare Systems
- Steven Wynn, SEA 05D1, Future Ship & Force Architecture Concepts Division
For More Information About the Forum:
This forum is restricted to Department of Defense personnel & DoD contractors only. Approved participants must be U.S. citizens or U.S. Permanent residents.
Registration details: Click here to register for the Power and Energy Focus Area Forum. These forums fill quickly, so reserve a spot early as attendance will be limited due to space considerations. Check
Follow ONR on Facebook or Twitter for up-to-the-minute news; or email ONRPublicAffairs@navy.mil for additional information.
Future Force magazine: Download the latest edition of Future Force, which explores the Navy and Marine Corps’ current projects involving power and energy research.