The Office of Naval Research (ONR) Marine Mammals and Biology (MMB) program supports basic and applied research and technology development related to understanding the effects of sound on marine mammals, including physiological, behavioral, ecological effects and population-level effects. Our current program thrusts include, but are not limited to:
1. Monitoring & Detection
2. Integrated Ecosystem Research
3. Effects of Sound on Marine Life
- Behavioral Response Studies
- Diving Physiology
- Physiological Stress Response
- Population Consequences of Acoustic Disturbance (PCAD)
4. Models & Databases for Environmental Compliance
Important Notice: If you submit any documents to MMB by email, ONR's Web-based online document submission system or Grants.gov, you will receive a confirmation email from the MMB program office. If you do NOT receive a confirmation email, contact the MMB point of contact to verify receipt.
- Pre-proposals Due: April 15, 2013
- Invitation Full Proposal: Jun/Jul 2013
- Full Proposals Due: end of Aug 2013 (unless otherwise negotiated)
- Proposal Review / Selection / Notification: Sep 2013 – Jan 2014
- Proposal Funding Date: Oct 2013 – Mar 2014 (first portion of federal fiscal year 2014)
ONR sponsored a workshop on Nov. 4-5, 2009, in Arlington, Va., with a report titled "Effects of Stress on Marine Mammals Exposed to Sound." The workshop's purpose was to assemble a cross-section of researchers in the field of stress physiology and behavioral research to identify the state-of-the-art science in stress physiology as it may apply to marine mammals, identify research needs for marine mammal stress-related research, and evaluate available or developing technologies for measuring indicators of stress ultimately in free-ranging marine mammals.
A report titled "Addressing the Effects of Human-Generated Sound on Marine Life: An Integrated Research Plan for U.S. Federal Agencies" was developed in response to an executive agency's request for a focused, coordinated federal science and technology plan from the National Science and Technology Council's Joint Subcommittee on Ocean Science and Technology (JSOST).
Long Range Broad Agency Announcement (BAA) for Navy and Marine Corps Science and Technology 14-001
14-001 (PDF - 288.91 KB)
Amendment 0001 (PDF - 288.91 KB)
Published: September 27, 2013 02:14 PM EST | Full Proposals will be accepted until September 30, 2014 03:00 PM EST