Technology Insertion Program for Savings
The Technology Insertion Program for Savings' (TIPS') mission is to increase the rate that new cutting-edge technologies are inserted into DoN Acquisition programs in order to significantly reduce operations and maintenance support costs. The program is structured to rapidly transition applicable commercial off-the-shelf solutions and late-stage development technologies from any source to meet an immediate need. TIPS provide execution year funding for a rapid start, bridging the gap until the program of record can fund the completion of the technology insertion.
Transition opportunities occur when a sufficiently mature technology is identified that can meet a particular need on a timetable which matches that of an acquisition program, and is supported by a business case which justifies the associated cost and schedule risk. TIPS is designed to be pro-active in identifying opportunities and to work with resource sponsors (Office of the Chief of Naval Operation (OPNAV), U.S. Marine Corps (USMC) P&R), fleet and force users (U.S. Fleet Forces Command (USFFC), USMC), acquisition sponsors (PEO, DRPM), and program managers (PMs) in constructing viable technology transition efforts. Utilizing existing authorities, TIPS applies execution year funds where necessary to "jump-start" transitions so they can be inserted and validated by rapidly leading directly to acquisition of highly beneficial technologies.
To be considered for TIPS, a proposal must meet the following criteria:
- Proposal addresses immediate Navy or USMC need
- Proposed technology can transition to acquisition in 24 months or less
- Proposal addresses increasing cost efficiency in maintenance, training or logistics
- Requires no more than $2 million in TIPS funding
- Purchase/POM Commitment
- Supportable funding profile
- Requirement/resource sponsor (OPNAV & USMC P&R)
- Acquisition sponsor (PEO/DRPM)
- Fleet sponsorship (USFFC or USMC)
- Technology Readiness Level (TRL) 6 or higher
- Navy/USMC Infrastructure, Policy and CONOP support
- Supportable business case (return on investment, reduced operations and maintenance cost)
The Office of Naval Research's (ONR's) director of Technology Transition Initiatives (03TTX) administers the TIPS program under the guidance of the TIPS Executive Review Group (ERG). The ERG is composed of representatives from USFFC, USMC, OPNAV, Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Navy (DASN ELM) and ONR. The TIPS program manager can be contacted via email at: TIPS_Contact@navy.mil
- The TIPS selection process is based on an annual cycle that begins with a call for proposals to each major Naval Systems Command (SYSCOM) in mid- to late October.
- Proposals and quad charts are submitted to ONR 03TTX by each Naval SYSCOM Chief Technology Officer (CTO) by mid- to late January.
- ONR 03TTX and staff review all submitted proposals against the above criteria to select those that will advance to the next level of reviews by the ERG Working Group (WG) panel.
- ONR 03TTX and staff will work with the submitting office to develop a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) for transition, once the final candidates are selected. All MOAs must be signed by senior level stakeholders from the Acquisition Office, Resource Office and ONR 03T in order for funding to be released.
Reference Documents and Templates
Documents on this page with a .pdf extension, may require the Adobe Reader.