Animal and Recombinant DNA Research Requirements
Research involving vertebrate animals requires submission of a completed and signed Navy Bureau of Medicine and Surgery (BUMED) Animal Use Appendix for Research Involving Animals. If your Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC)-approved protocol includes ONLY those activities described in your ONR proposal, then the abbreviated version can be used. However, if your IACUC-approved protocol includes activities beyond the scope of the ONR proposal and/or activities funded by other agencies or groups, then the full version must be used.
Additional documentation is required with submission of the appendix, including:
- Copy of the animal use protocol approved by your IACUC
- Documentation of protocol approval from your IACUC (e.g., IACUC approval letter)
- Copy of the institution’s most recent U.S. Department of Agriculture Inspection Report for captive animal work, if applicable
Marine Mammal Animal Use Requirements
Please submit documentation as a .pdf via Grants.gov or to your ONR program manager via email. Additionally, if your proposal is funded by ONR, you must participate in the Annual DoD Animal Use Data Call Report.
All required documents must be submitted concurrent with the research proposal. For assistance with these requirements, contact Ms. Sevgi Bullock at email@example.com.
Recombinant DNA Use
Experiments involving recombinant DNA molecules require submission of the following documents:
- A written statement that the institution is in compliance with “NIH Guidelines for Research Involving Recombinant DNA Molecules.” This statement should be made by an official of the institution other than the Principal Investigator and should be on university or company letterhead. (3 copies)
- Approval of the proposed research protocol by the Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC) (3 copies)
- Department of Health and Human Services (DHS) Letter of Approval of the Institutional Biosafety Committee, or the most recent letter from DHHS stating the IBC is in compliance with NIH Recombinant DNA Guidelines (3 copies)
These documents must be submitted concurrent with the research proposal. For assistance with these requirements, contact Ms. Sevgi Bullock at firstname.lastname@example.org.