Get Started with Credentials

Before you can do business with the Office of Naval Research (ONR), Department of Navy (DoN), Department of Defense (DoD) and other federal agencies, you may need to obtain certain credentials.

Federal Supply Classification  and North American Industry Classification Codes

ONR, DoN, DoD and other federal agencies frequently list product and service requirements by Federal Supply Classification (FSC) Code, or North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) Code. It is helpful to know the FSC and NAICS code(s) that are applicable to the product(s) or service(s) you are interested in marketing:

Obtain Data Universal Number System Number

You must obtain a data universal numbering system (DUNS) number to conduct business with ONR. A DUNS Number is a unique nine-digit identification sequence that provides a unique identifier for a business entity, while linking corporate family structures together. You can obtain a free DUNS number online.

Register with the System for Award Management

You must register in the System for Award Management (SAM). SAM is the official U.S. government system that consolidated the capabilities of Central Contractor Registration System/Federal Agency Registration (FedReg), Online Representations and Certifications Application (ORCA) and Excluded Parties List System (EPLS). SAM registration is free at  

Obtain a NATO Contactor and Government Entity Code

All vendors must obtain a NATO contractor and government entity code (commonly referred to as a CAGE code). A CAGE code is a five position code that identifies contractors doing business with the federal government, NATO member nations and other foreign governments. The CAGE code is used to support a variety of mechanized systems throughout the government and provides for a standardized method of identifying a given facility at a specific location. The code may be used for a facility clearance, a pre-award survey, automated bidders' lists, identification of debarred bidders, fast pay processes, etc.

If you are a U.S.-based vendor, you will be assigned a CAGE Code when you register in the SAM. Foreign vendors must contact your country representative.

* Some pages on this website provide links which require Adobe Reader to view.