Securing Our Future: The Navy Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Workforce Roadmap
Recognizing that a healthy science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) workforce is critical to meeting the Navy and Marine Corps’ greatest challenges, the Department of Navy (DoN) is committed to doubling its investment in STEM over the next five years. This commitment answers a national call by President Obama to improve our country’s STEM education over the next decade.
The DoN’s STEM Roadmap is built around five priorities that combine best-in-class experiences for students along-side the needs of the Navy for a STEM workforce pipeline. Initiatives include exciting new programs that will increase participation by students and teachers, allow for hands-on and meaningful learning experiences, and meet the underserved where they live. The five priorities are:
- Inspire the next generation of scientists and engineers
- Engage students and build their STEM confidence and skills through hands-on learning activities that incorporate Naval-relevant
- Educate students to be well prepared for employment in STEM careers that support the Navy and Marine Corps
- Employ, retain and develop Naval STEM professionals
- Collaborate on STEM efforts across the Department of Navy, the federal government and best practice organizations.
In support of these STEM priorities, our STEM portfolio includes:
- High-engagement, long-duration and hands-on learning K-12 programs, particularly at the middle school level
- Programs and practices that target under-represented populations
- Naval-relevant content as an integral part of programs
- Programs that improve student interest, confidence and retention in STEM
- Teacher training and development programs
- Partnerships with “Best Practice” programs
As part of the plan, the Office of Naval Research will manage the coordination of the Navy's STEM effort, a portfolio of more than 80 localized outreach and education efforts across the country.
Read the complete plan: Download the 2011 Navy STEM roadmap