Guidance on ONR’s Tenure-Track Equivalent
ONR provides some guidance on what is considered a YIP-eligible tenure-track equivalent appointment, but it is up to the proposer and the proposer's institution to determine whether or not the appointment meets these requirements.
For a position to be considered a tenure-track-equivalent position, it must meet all of the following requirements:
- The employing department or organization does not offer tenure-track positions to any new hires;
- The employee is engaged in research in an area of science or engineering supported by the Department of Defense;
- The employee has a continuing appointment that is expected to last the three years of the grant;
- The appointment has formal educational responsibilities; and
- The proposed project relates to the employee's career goals and job responsibilities as well as to the goals of the department or organization.
Adjunct, Instructor, or Visiting positions are not considered YIP-eligible tenure-track-equivalent positions. Through the official submission of your YIP proposal you are indicating that your position meets the YIP-eligibility requirements. In addition, your Department Chair (or equivalent) will verify that your position is YIP-eligible in the University Letter (letter of support).