Power Generation and Energy Storage
This program is focused on developing Navy power generation and energy storage systems and components to improve overall naval platform capability, efficiency and reliability. Work in this research area supports the Navy’s interest in advanced naval power and energy systems research and technology.
Research Concentration Areas
- Alternative power generation systems
- Naval energy storage systems
- Naval power generation auxiliary and control systems
- Naval power generation systems
Research Challenges and Opportunities
- Navy power generation systems: Component technology, materials and operational methodology/new cycles to improve power, efficiency, power density and overall life of Navy shipboard gas turbine and diesel engines (propulsion and generator sets). Includes system architecture configurations to improve capability, including integrated power systems and hybrid electric drive.
- Navy power generation auxiliary and control systems: Component technology, materials and operational methodology supporting operation of Navy shipboard power generation systems to improve power, efficiency, density and overall life. Component technologies include, but are not limited to, optimization control, filtration systems, etc.
- Alternative power generation systems: Alternative source Navy ship power generation systems such as logistics fuel derived fuel cell systems, etc. to maximize efficiency.
- Navy energy storage systems: Single- and multi-device, safe energy storage systems for naval shipboard application to enable future, high-power weapons and sensor systems on legacy and next generation naval vessels. Develop components and methods to enable high-density, modular-reconfigurable, high-cycle rate, megawatt-scale, multifunction energy storage systems.
For More Information
Watch ONR's Power & Energy Technology video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1101UBFa0s
Program Contact Information
How to Submit
Submit white papers, QUAD charts and full proposals for contracts to this email address: ONR Code 33 Research Submissions
Follow instructions within BAA for submission of grant proposals to grants.gov website.