Electric Power Components and Systems
Work in these areas supports the Navy’s interest in advanced naval power and energy systems research and technology:
- Efficient and power-dense architecture and components: Focuses on a hybrid circuit breaker device for medium-voltage, direct-current, ship electrical-distribution systems.
- Robust Combat Power Control Future Naval Capability (FNC): Focuses on developing controls and methods that take full advantage of the power and energy resources within a ship’s machinery system, to deliver the energy required by the mission systems. The Robust Combat Power Control FNC will enable higher power shipboard weapons and sensors.
Research Concentration Areas
- Robust Combat Power Control FNC Program
- Control methods to optimize ship energy resources
- Enabling higher-power weapons and sensors on platform(s)
- Utilization of shared-energy storage and high-bandwidth power-conversion equipment embedded in a distribution system
- System configuration to operate at maximum efficiency/performance though three-way communication and control between machinery systems, mission planning and directed-energy mission systems
- Cyber security of control systems
Research Challenges and Opportunities
- Improve shipboard electrical-distribution power density, performance and efficiency
- Develop component and system technologies that improve naval electrical power utilization
- Develop advanced-power semiconductor devices, in order to increase electric-power-conversion power density and efficiency
- Develop new converter topologies, power control and protection methods for improved shipboard electrical-system power density and efficiency
Type of Funding Available
- Applied Research
- Advanced Technology Development
For More Information
Watch ONR's Power & Energy Technology video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1101UBFa0s
Program Contact Information
Submit white papers, QUAD charts and full proposals for contracts to this email address: ONR Code 33 Research Submissions
Follow instructions within BAA for submission of grant proposals to grants.gov website.