Advanced Integrated Maritime Mission Modeling (AIM3)
The aim of Advanced Integrated Maritime Mission Modeling is to provide the Fleet a reconfigurable and interlinked array of Carrier Strike Group and shipboard combat system emulations. These emulations can be exploited to create, integrate, validate and demonstrate ONR-developed virtual-constructive and live-virtual-constructive multi-mission training and readiness enhancing technologies for shipboard and on-shore applications.
Research Concentration Areas
- Strike Group and theater multi-mission, multi-platform performance assessment, training, mission rehearsal, certification, and decision support within current threat scenarios
- Advanced, leap-ahead combat training, testing and assessment technologies to address the 21st Century threat
Research Challenges and Opportunities
- Basic research to create computationally efficient, right fidelity computational models of individual and aggregate human behaviors and imposed combat system degradation effects to support simulations with high threat and BLUFOR (friendly force) densities
- Basic research to develop techniques to accurately register virtual and real entities in dynamic maritime environments
- Basic research to develop nuanced artificial intelligence-controlled opposing and BLUFOR operating appropriately in 3D space
- Basic research to investigate alternative approaches to graphically present information that is conceptual, fused, or non-intuitive
- Applied research to understand and visualize realistic weather and other natural environmental effects on sensors, weapons, and human performance
- Applied research to understand and mitigate the potential nausea-producing effects of virtual reality and augmented reality system use as a function of duration of use, sea state, and external versus internal use
- Applied research to develop data compression algorithms and novel transport techniques to extend terrestrial networks to ships at sea with limited bandwidth
Program Contact Information
Submit white papers, QUAD charts and full proposals for contracts to this email address: ONR Code 34 Research Submissions
Follow instructions within BAA for submission of grant proposals to grants.gov website.