Bio-inspired Signature Management
The Bio-inspired Signature Management program aims to discover biologically-inspired adaptations and bioengineered solutions to expand current warfighter capabilities in detection mitigation and undersea navigational challenges. This will be accomplished through multidisciplinary research in science and technology fields such as bio-inspired / biomimetic materials, visual and sensory perception, and bio-optics / bioelectronics.
Research Concentration Areas
- Bio-inspired camouflage and detection mitigation
- Bioengineered solutions for undersea navigation by humans and autonomous vehicles
Research Challenges and Opportunities
- Basic research to understand bio-inspired adaptive camouflage. Efforts include texture and shape modulation, color adaptation, signature concealment and mechanisms for tunable regulation of multi-functional materials
- Applied research to investigate polarimetric imaging technologies for bio-inspired underwater geolocalization and underwater imaging strategies for navigation and recognition
Program Contact Information
How to Submit
For detailed application and submission information for this research topic, please see our Funding Opportunities page and refer to broad agency announcement (BAA) No. N00014-20-S-B001.
- Contracts: All white papers and full proposals for contracts must be submitted through FedConnect; instructions are included in the BAA.
- Grants: All white papers for grants must be submitted through FedConnect, and full proposals for grants must be submitted through grants.gov; instructions are included in the BAA.