Command Decision Making (CDM)
The Command Decision Making program (CDM) is advancing cognitive theory and computational modeling to create decision support tools for warfighters that are mission and task sensitive, and therefore proactive in providing relevant information at appropriate times.
CDM is funding projects to: 1) Create science for Context-Driven Decision Making (CDDM) and 2) Develop Proactive Decision Support (PDS) tools. PDS exploits predictive models that leverage the advances being made within the fields of cognitive science, decision theory, artificial intelligence, and basic and applied mathematics to create novel decision support tools. Applications for these research interests include exploring mechanisms by brokering authorities for unmanned systems across multiple users, enabling command and control in denied and degraded communication environments, cyber security, and others.
Research Concentration Areas
- Human decision modeling and intent inferencing
- Machine facilitated team (human) collaboration
- Decision making
- Knowledge creation and transfer
- Processes through which human mental models are created and modified
Research Challenges and Opportunities
- Developing cognitive models for individual and distributed decision making as well as machine facilitated human collaboration
- Examining the role of context in applied decision making
- Studying decision making in uncertainty, and developing decision aides that enable better decision making despite uncertainty
- Developing proactive decision support tools for military command and control
- Examine and model processes for the effective sharing decision making in military organizations
- Exploring techniques for expressing rules of engagement, intent, and the transfer of authority between humans, decision aids, and machines
- Conducting Model-based decision support experiments and field trials with emphasis on decision processes in scalable Maritime Operation Centers
Program Contact Information
How to Submit
Submit white papers, QUAD charts and full proposals for contracts to this email address: ONR Code 34 Research Submissions
Follow instructions within BAA for submission of grant proposals to grants.gov website.