Manpower, Personnel and Training Information Sciences (MPT-IS)
The Manpower, Personnel and Training Information Sciences portfolio funds basic and applied research in metrics development, data ontology, data mining and machine learning to optimize performance, training and education opportunities for the warfighter within the Naval enterprise. An underlying premise for all efforts within the portfolio is adherence to sound measurement principles best summarized as reliability (precision) and validity (accuracy). The program examines various learning modalities including mobile devices and virtual/augmented realities. The overarching goal is to supply seasoned Naval forces who will “outthink, outfight any adversary” in today and tomorrow’s operational environment. The program relies on a cohesive partnership with stakeholders ranging from OPNAV N1, OPNAV N7, Naval Education and Training Command, Naval Personnel Command, as well as the Type Commands and Systems Commands.
Research Concentration Areas
- Measurement and Assessment of Complex Human Behavior and Performance
- Data and Information Sciences for Manpower, Personnel and Training
- Understanding and Developing Intellectual Readiness for Novel Challenges
- Personnel Selection and Classification
- Manpower Requirements Modeling
Research Challenges and Opportunities
- Research to understand and improve decision-making while on the job in individual and team settings
- Experimental and data science approaches to improve prediction of individual and team behavior
- Research to understand the relationship between general cognitive ability, crystallized and fluid intelligence, and naval job performance
- Research investigating how changes to plans, policies and practices lead to secondary effects on manpower requirements
- Directed research investigating new approaches for training and education of Naval relevant skills
Program Contact Information
How to Submit
For detailed application and submission information for this research topic, please see our Funding Opportunities page and refer to broad agency announcement (BAA) No. N00014-22-S-B001.
- Contracts: All white papers and full proposals for contracts must be submitted through FedConnect; instructions are included in the BAA.
- Grants: All white papers for grants must be submitted through FedConnect, and full proposals for grants must be submitted through grants.gov; instructions are included in the BAA.