Power Electronics & Electromagnetism, Adaptive & Machinery Controls and Advanced Machinery Systems
Work in these areas supports the Navy’s interest in advanced naval power and energy systems science and technology, and autonomous technology:
- Power electronics and electromagnetism (6.1 basic research): Development and improved reliability/availability of next-generation, wide-bandgap (WBG) semiconductors (Gallium Nitride (GaN)); development of advanced machinery insulation systems (motors, generators, cables, laminated bus, drives); development of prediction techniques (prognostics) for estimating useful remaining life of insulation systems; development of improved, light-weight magnetic materials (inductors and high frequency transformers).
- Autonomous controls (6.1 basic research): Development of rapid, autonomous control systems for unmanned/manned vehicles.
- Machinery controls (6.2 applied research): Development and application of control systems supporting future ship Integrated power and energy systems (IPES)
- Advanced Power Systems (6.2 applied research):
- Development and application of improved size, weight and power (SWaP), silicon carbide (SiC), WBG, power electronic building block (PEBB), least replaceable unit (LRU) power converters
- Risk reduction of component technologies supporting medium voltage direct current (MVDC) IPES
Research Concentration Areas
- Navy and United States Marine Corps (USMC) require power systems that meet agility, efficiency, scalability, controllability and security requirements
- Reliability and availability of pulsed and continuous duty, high power and energy, Navy and USMC weapon systems
Research Challenges and Opportunities
For More Information
Watch ONR's Power & Energy Technology video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1101UBFa0s
Program Contact Information
How to Submit
Submit white papers, QUAD charts and full proposals for contracts to this email address: ONR Code 33 Research Submissions
Follow instructions within BAA for submission of grant proposals to grants.gov website.